This week I’m concentrating on writing up in some detail the first of the LASSIE case studies on reading lists and social software. I’m actually evaluating 4 systems: CiteULike, H20 Playlists, LibraryThing and Bibsonomy. Bibsonomy was the only one I’d yet to spend any time investigating so I’ve just spent a few hours playing with it. I’ve been trying to recreate the same reading list in each system. But I thought I would also explore Bibsonomy in more detail. It’s got some interesting features, such as the ability to manage ‘publications’ (books, journal references etc.) and internet bookmarks. You can also import your bookmarks from your browser or from del.icio.us, which I managed to do fairly easily. I found it a bit difficult to work out inititially, but features like importing and exporting a list from Endnote or all sorts of other places seem useful.
It is primairly a tool for researchers, so I am not sure I would recommend it specifically for managing a reading list, but nice features like RSS exports that can be integrated into Moodle, mean it has bags of potential.
I’ve been catching up on blog posting. Phil Bradley as ever, has some interesting stuff, such as a review of My Library from Google. He’s not terribly impressed with it overall! He also has made his presentation from the Internet Librarian International conference available. And Sheila Webber’s just pulled together a really useful set of resources on media literacy. Closer to home, we’ve launched MILO our Moodle Library course, this week so I’ve been checking up on student registration which so far is going well. We’ve also now got well over 1500 scanned readings available to student at LSE, as part of our e- pack service. And so far, lots of satisfied staff.